All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

12/21/2006

A Dilbert Moment

I applied to the company that I now work for over 9 months ago. They had listed the job I’m doing now on their web site as a direct hire position. Today I got this email:

From: The Big Oil Company Careers Site Administrator

Dear Mr. Ipsa,

Thank you for your interest in the position: Operator (Req ID: 00522 / Req#: 090606B) and the opportunity to review your qualification and accomplishments. However, we must inform you that this position has been filled. We will keep your resume on file and will contact you should your qualification match any future vacancies.

Thank you for contacting us and we wish you success in attaining your future goals.

Sincerely,
The Big Oil Company Talent Acquisition Team

I’m debating sending them a reply.

Dear Big Oil Company Talent Acquisition Team,

I thank you for your interest in my application. I was aware you filled this job opening via a subcontractor. I am currently doing the job you advertised and have been for the last two months. Every time I hear your HR department gripe that they can’t find good people to hire into direct positions and they hate paying the consultants a premium for recruiting and training, I will remember this email and smile. I am willing to split the difference between the bill out rate you are paying for my services and my hourly pay rate with you. This will decrease your expense of having the job filled by 25% and increase my hourly pay rate by 50%. How about it?

This is what happens when Wally and Dogbert run the “Talent Acquisition Team”.

No comments:

Post a Comment