All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

7/14/2008

On Disrepecting Religion

Vox has been following the Pharyngulan PZ desecration of the Eucharist debacle. I'm not Catholic. In fact I'm not a lot of religions. My guess is you could be identified by all the different religions and denominations that you aren't too. Yet some how normal people are able to get along with all the groups they don't belong to, without making an ass out of themselves.

As a non-Catholic, I don't share their theological views on transubstantiation. However, I have a number of Catholic friends. I get invited to weddings, funerals etc that involve saying Mass. I go. When it comes to partaking, I simply set it out and respectfully watch my friends participate in their faith. I don't debate their faith and I don't offend their conscience by participating in a ceremony that doesn't have the same meaning to me as it has to them. Its never occurred to me to violate their POV or to do something that would be contrary to mine. I'm able to function in society without making an ass of myself over someone else's theology.

This whole disrespecting of the communion wafer ordeal reminds me of another group that suffers from emotionally arrested development. Have you ever seen the news coverage of some animal rights activist throwing red paint or blood on some anorexic debutant's mink coat? In all the years I've gone through the Sturgis motorcycle rally, I've never seen a PETA type pull this stunt with the Hell's Angels. Certainly there is a larger demand for leather jackets than mink coats. Imagine the free publicity that would create.

I predict that the "anti-religion" types will stick to offending milquetoast American Christians. I wonder when we will see them do something courageous, like defile a Koran and then post their name, address, and a link to a Google map of their house and office. That will happen before liberals will quit making an ass out of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment