All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

12/26/2010

A Kind Word for the LDS

Those of you that have been around blogging with me the last 7 or so years are probably aware of my intense dislike for Mormons. This has to do with an event in my life involving a Mormon girl and some surrounding unpleasantness.  Anyway I once said if they ever did anything good I'd be sure to point it out.

Well here I go.

My sister is married to a youth minister.  He was working for a ministry (run by a group of evangelicals) that ran a boarding type school for troubled teens.  As it happens this school is located in Utah.  They decided to move the school and fire a number of staff persons to reduce costs.  My brother in law was one of the employees to get the ax. My sister was 9 months pregnant, when her husband lost his job.  They had baby girl last week and everyone is doing fine. 

In the midst of all of this they needed to have someone watch their kids and they went to use the day care that they had been using.  The lady running the day care (LDS, go figure its Utah) told him not to worry about paying since she was aware of what had happened at the school.  My brother in law told her that not letting them pay was no way to run a business.  She told him to do the best he could getting another job, take care of his pregnant wife and let her worry about her business.  She happened to know that my folks would be coming to visit after the baby was born.  So a full sized Christmas type dinner of ham potatoes and all the trimmings showed up.  All they had to do was put it in the oven for dinner.

I should point out that this kindness was more than the local "Christians" associated with the ministry did.  In fact, the guy who runs the program wanted everyone to donate their last paycheck to the ministry before the move. Apparently there was a bit of pressure for them to do that. I don't know how many that "donated" their paycheck got to keep their jobs at the new location.

There is no likelihood of me changing my religion or my over all stand on Mormonism. But a least one Mormon is a great person and has earned a public pat on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment