All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

12/18/2007

Mr. Grumpy

My last day off was sometime in November. I've been working every day with a lot of 10 and 12 hour days. So I've been a little grumpy and not as focused mentally. I was in the drugstore tonight and the girl checking me out told me the total. I was writing a check and for the life of me couldn't remember the date. I asked and she said the 18th. So I dutifully wrote out a check for $18. I caught my mistake and told her what I did ad asked if she'd mind making change for my check. She said no problem and mentioned I looked tired. I said yes and mentioned I'd been working a lot. The other store employees piped in to the conversation. We talked about Christmas plans. The exchange was typical drugstore small talk.

Then it happened. The pharmacist rang out a hearty "Merry Christmas Mr. Ipsa". The counter girl joined in as did 3 or 4 others. Little exclamations of "Happy New Year" and "have a great holiday" filled the shop. Despite spending the day mostly cold with a number of hassles and some disappointments at work, I was no longer grumpy. I felt down right spiffy. I still do.

To all my blog friends, thanks for stopping by this last year and sharing my joys and sorrows. Even though its still a week away, and incredibly politically incorrect to say so:

Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment