All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

10/15/2009

Opening Day

Today is the opening day of elk season for my unit. I'm not in the woods. I'm at home.

Last night Res Jr. started throwing up at church. We came home and I stayed up with him through most of the night. He seems to be doing better, now.

Having sick kids sucks, not because I missed some hunting, they don't understand what is happening to them. "All done daddy, all done" is a sad cry to hear when you know that what it means is; "I want this to be all done". As an adult you know better, you know the kid is just starting another round and he is far from "all done".

A thought on men and women being "equal" occurred to me in the wee hours this morning. Daddy can hold your head over the bucket and clean you up just as well as mommy. Mommy can tell you how great getting to sleep on the floor with daddy is. Mommy really wants daddy to be as good as her, because there is another little one that needs her attention as well. Little kids know "equality" is crap. They know mommy will make "it" better, no matter what "it" is.

Daddies are fine, in their place. Need a good pillow fight? Daddy! Tickle monster? Daddy! Ride the horse? Daddy! Go ride truck, look at animals, make turkey sound, catch fish? Daddy! Snow ball fight? Daddy! Tummy sick? Daddy, go get mommy.

Why is it this way? Mommy is better. Somehow in some unknown to all but them way, mommy is better. Daddy can hold your head and wipe your face but its not the same. When mommy does it, its just better. Her voice is softer, her touch more tender, her presence just makes it better. Daddy is good, mommy is better.

I've had the job in the boardroom. I've worked and made decisions in the financial world. None of that impressed my son last night. He wanted mommy. His mommy could make it better in a way daddy could not. I can't understand why someone would want to give up that special place in the hart of a child for a job, any job. I know I would have traded a great deal last night to be able to make it "all done" and "better" so my wife could have a couple extra hours of sleep. Instead she ended up taking over halfway through the night, and I ended up stiff and sore from sleeping on the floor. This morning, it was me, not her still in bed trying to grab a little more sleep when the kido's were up and at it again. Mommies are better, but at least the daddy gets to do more fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment