All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

7/15/2015

6,000

KJ made a good comment in the last thread about this not being the end.  I happen to agree.  I don't think this is the end of time in the apocalyptic sense.  It may be the end of America.  That's not the same as the end of the world.

I've been trying to work out my views on eschatology for over 30 years now.  I still don't have it figured out.  I doubt that I ever will in this life.

My current understanding of the subject leads me to agree with Barnabas.  Beyond that, I still haven't made a decision on the many individual facets that are presented as "facts" or "doctrine" or whatever you want to call them.  Hermeneutically there are too many issues sort out to definitively issue a "thus sayeth the Lord" on what I've heard preachers proclaim over the years.

Back to the end of America:  We deserve it.  Not because we are bad people.  In general that isn't true.  Americans are generally decent, giving, helpful people.  We deserve it, because we abdicated our responsibility to progenerate the values, morals, standards, and practices that our forefathers established. 

America didn't fail.  Americans failed to pass on that which made America great.  Americans failed to stand up for that which is right, good and true.  We exchanged the blessing of liberty born in righteousness; for the pursuit of happiness.  No one bothered to define happiness beyond "doing your own thing".  Responsibility of any sort was shunned.  We had wealth and could buy leisure, or goods. 

We became bored.

We forgot about what made us great.

We quit trying.

5 comments:

  1. Susan2:31 PM

    With all the evil that has been let loose on the world, both by Satan and by Obama and the left, I certainly think that we are in the quickly sliding downhill ramp up to it. All it will take is for what ever God is waiting for to happen, and then that's all she wrote.

    I don't believe it is going to be slow in coming. I think with all the stuff going on, it will be more like a game of Jenga when it collapses. You are right though, I too believe America is going to hit the bottom first, then the apocalypse will start happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:19 PM

    We do know that He is coming soon, and that ALL times are soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan9:53 PM

    Rabbi B, with the appalling news that came out this week regarding Planned Parenthood making money off aborted baby parts, I don't know how much more I can stand quite frankly. It has been a roller coaster ride with Sibyl at the switch since the court ruling on ssm.

    Last time I got on political overload, I pulled out my 3 seasons of Gilligan's Island and binge watched for a couple of days. It worked nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Old Sarge11:32 AM

    I believe it was Alexis de Toqueville who said: "America is great, because she is good. And if she ever ceases to be good, she shall cease to be great."

    That has already been fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking through History I don't think America is the most perverse nation that ever existed.
    That is not to say it won't speed up it's descent dramatically.
    It's going to be a bumpy ride,

    ReplyDelete