All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

11/16/2015

Blatant Plug

Rabbi B has written a post in response to my request for an article.  I hope its the first in a series.  If you are interested in knowing the how of understanding scripture his post Garden of the Torah is for you. 

The big theological word for understanding how to study scripture is hermeneutics.  I've posted on this in the past and anyone who has spent any time with me talking about spiritual things has probably picked up on my interest in this subject.

I grew up in a home and church where a Strict Rationalist hermeneutic was taught.  That standard was expressed in three criteria:
  • Direct Command
  • Explicit Example
  • Necessary Inference
Strict Rationalism has a number of good points and will deliver a solid literal understanding of scripture.  Any serious student of the bible should utilize this method in their study.  I recommend it highly.  It took me over 30 years before I realized that Strict Rationalism is very, very good, but its not enough. This method will give a serious student a life time of knowledge.  Considering that most people don't "do" all of the things they know to be literally correct, Strict Rationalism is enough to keep a student immersed for a life time.

The traditional Rabbinic hermeneutic is different and more through than Strict Rationalism.  It allows a deeper divining of the full council.  I just starting to use it in my own study.  Check out what my good friend Rabbi B has to say in his Garden of the Torah post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment