All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

11/30/2015

Observation

In college I waited tables to make ends meet.  I worked short hours, had decent pay and learned a few lessons about people.  For instance, if a person said that they were a great tipper, they weren't.  I can't think of a single time in my life that I've heard a person say they tip great, or even good, that I have ever seen them actually leave a medium sized tip.

The same thing happens with celebrities.  Important and self important people often have people who work for them as personal assistants.  A celebrities personal assistant serves a function that in Victorian times was recognized as a "servant".  The servant's job is to ensure the masters happiness.  There is nothing wrong with that in and of itself.

Why anyone would take such a job in modern times is a bit of a mystery.  Perhaps working with the rich and famous is its own reward.  Maybe the notoriety is appealing to some people.  I don't know.  What I do know is if the servant is asking me, "don't you know who this is?" and doing so in a tone of voice that conveys contempt, their boss isn't all they think they are.

I've met a handful of the rich and famous.  Some of them are very nice, classy even.  Bash the Bush's all you like.  Barbra is a super lady and very engaging.  Bill Cosby has been taking a lot of heat recently for things he may or may not have done forty years ago.  I met him once, shook his hand and made a little small talk with him back stage at a performance he was giving.  He looked a little sad, but was very pleasant to a mere mundane such as myself.  Latter I learned that his son Ennis had recently been murdered.  Somehow he managed to keep it together and treat the masses courteously.

This last week I had another celebrity encounter.  I hope I do not have another like it.  Posting the names and details of the incident would violate my employers social media policy and likely get me fired, so I won't.  I've got a job interview this Thursday, so maybe I can soon.

I've added to my personal list of truisms this week.  If someone asks "don't you know who this is", the person in question probably isn't worth knowing.  If they promise you a significant portion of a months pay to get you to go out of your way for them, you better get it in writing.

8 comments:

  1. WaterBoy10:33 PM

    "I've got a job interview this Thursday"

    As always, best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or get that money ahead of time before you actually do the work. Best of luck acing that interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or get that money ahead of time before you actually do the work.

    I would have done what I did just because its my job. I didn't need the offer of a significant cash tip to do it. After they made the offer it was pretty crappy to renege on it. The worst part was the verbal abuse I took from them. I did them a favor and got my butt chewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just pissed off that I had to bite my tongue and take a lot of crap off of people that I would have refused to do business with under other circumstances. I had to break rules that potentially would cost me my job to make these clowns happy but I couldn't refuse them for fear of having them complain and cost me my job for offending them.

      Delete
  4. The interview just got pushed back to next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully you won't have to deal with that again.

    How's the moose?

    ReplyDelete