All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

8/18/2006

For the Women Folk

Thanks for the recent posts and emails asking about how Mrs. Ipsa is doing. She is fine and in good spirits. We’re having a good time with the pregnancy. Her condition is good for a few laughs. As a rule my wife isn’t a vain or self absorbed about her looks or weight. Pregnancy has changed that a bit. The other day she was looking herself over and asked me if her butt looked bigger.

Normally I respond that yes she does look fat and no I don’t love her anymore. This time I just said yes. Bad response. She had to get out the tape measure and check to see if it was fatter.

I never knew women measured these things. I’m a guy. I have a butt. As long as it fits in my jeans I figure everything is fine. She gets the tape out to measure; one not so little problem, Pregosaurus Rex can’t see the tape because her belly is too big!!!

We had a good laugh about it!

The last several months have been full of moments like that. This is a fun time for us and little things like the one I just shared have brightened the whole experience.



The pic is some quilts that have recently come into my possession. The top one is one my mother made for our baby, the one on the side is one my grandmother made for me when I was a baby, the one in the middle was made by my other grandmother for me. The one on the bottom has an interesting story that I only learned last month.

My grandparents were close friends with another older couple. They adopted me as a grandbaby when I was born. The lady decided she would make me a baby blanket as a gift. She picked the cloth, pattern and cut it out. Her arthritis was so bad and her eyesight was going downhill so she couldn’t quilt it in time to finish before I was born. She told her husband that he needed to do the quilting and what it was for. So, he got to it, even though by all accounts his arthritis was as bad if not worse than hers.

Before any of ya’ll start snickering about a man doing the quilting, I want you to know something about that man. In 1917 he shipped with the Marine Expeditionary force to Europe and served for the duration. My baby will sleep under a quilt that was sewn by an original Teufelshunde.

No comments:

Post a Comment