All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

8/29/2006

Tools or Toys?

A few months back a friend of mine needed a new drill press. He had a real nice Craftsman press but it couldn’t handle ½ inch steal, so he needed to buy a new one. He couldn’t really afford the new press, but he couldn’t afford not to finish the job he was doing either. Something had to give. He had all but $50 of the price of the new press and he offered me his old one for 50 bucks. He hadn’t used the old press a lot and it was in great shape. It seemed like a fair deal and I’d been wanting a drill press so I bought it.

The wife, who seems to think you should actually have a use for a tool if you’re going to buy it, questioned the appearance of a drill press in the garage but didn’t make too big a fuss.

Today my decision to buy the drill press paid off! I was setting here at the desk and decided I needed to lean back and stretch out. I leaned back too far and before I feel over, I caught the underside of the keyboard shelf with my foot, breaking off the roller arm. The desk is one of the Sauder types so when the screws pulled away they broke out a big chunk of compressed sawdust that the support is made of.

To fix this little problem I needed to drill two new holes in the steal roller arm to reattach it to the desk. Since I bought the drill press I had the right tool at the right time to do the job the right way.

The moral? Men go ahead and buy that new tool you’ve been wanting. If the wife makes a fuss show her this story and say, “see honey, if Res hadn’t bought that drill press he’d have had to buy a new desk”.

No comments:

Post a Comment