This is how the game is played:
There are two categories or classes of pistols. The first is light gun. The second is heavy gun. I shot in both categories. There are three distances: 500 yards, 750 yards and 1,000 yards. Each class shoots all three distances. Every shooter gets to shoot 5 shots in three relays. The best ag group from those 15 shots gets to advance to the shoot off. In the shoot off there are 5 shots and the best (smallest) 5 shot group wins. There are cash and prizes awarded to the first and second places in the shoot offs.
This year I made some improvement over previous years. I advanced to the 500 yard shoot offs with in both classes. Where I promptly blew the whole deal. Competition is normally tougher at 500 yards because it is a distance that most people can shoot and bullet flight behaves about the way the computer programs say it will. That said, I didn't preform well. I assume it was totally operator error and I frankly haven't figured out what my malfunction was.
At 750 yards I made it into the shoot off and won first place in one category. At 1,000 yards I won second place. So I came home with some cash and nice prizes.
1. Just because you have a new gun and Exbal says your load will work, doesn't mean it will. Find out before you shoot for score at a match that your load is subsonic and keyholeing.
2. Try practicing every once in awhile, you might do better. Just because you know how to do something doesn't automatically mean you will beat some of the best shooters in the world, just because you showed up.
3. Next year make up your mind to go to the match more than 24 hrs before it starts. Investing in some prep time early will keep you from loading till 3:00am the day of the match and needing to load extra ammo the second day.
4. There is a nice little camp ground and hotels near by. Staying at either one or camping out on public land is cheaper than gas, plus you might actually get some sleep.
5. Find out why you can't seem to get your act together under 750 yards unless your hunting. Most people can hit the targets that are CLOSER easier. This is the third year in a row you've done this.
I had a great time. If your into shooting specialty pistols this is the match for you.