All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

6/19/2010

Sounding Conceited

Today I was accused of being a narcissist because I mentioned that I had access to some political figures.  The person claiming that has proven himself an asshat, but thats not the point.  I don't think narcissism means what they think it does either but that's a different topic too.

Fact is, I've got to meet some famous people, as well as some very rich ones.  Is talking about it a sign of a psychological short coming?

I've met a handful of celebrities over the years. Most of them have been by chance and about half the time I had no idea who the person was or even that they were famous when I met them.  Is this conceded or just clueless?

A couple of weeks ago I had a classic clueless celebrity encounter. A couple of them as I had no idea who I was hanging out with.  Encounter #1 I let a guy from New York borrow my cell phone.  He needed to call his girl and his phone was getting texts but he wasn't able to call or text out.  This is a hazard of being in WYO if you have an out of state cell phone.  I now have a 212 area code phone number on my bill that belongs to a model in NYNY.  Dave, the guy who made the call, has an above average resume for someone in that industry.  The same week I had that encounter I was working with (unknown to me) an actress who is currently on this show.  Again I had no idea.  As we were leaving work she asked me if I wanted to buy her a drink.  I told her no but she could buy me one.  She did.  We ate dinner and had some laughs.  We also went dutch.

If I tell you about the summer I worked on a ranch you'd probably be bored after the first story about redoing fences.  If I tell you the ranch was owned by Bill Nicholson and who he is, stories about who I met from my $200 a week job might seem more interesting.  I did meet several celebrities that summer.   Last year this time I went to the home of an artists grandson to relax and catch some fish on their pond.  You've seen grandpa's art.  Impressed?  What if I told you I was invited there because I was hanging out doing a favor for Larry Flint's former chef?   What if I said some of the girls were there too?  They weren't and I'm not saying that, my wife checks up on me and reads this from time to time.

How about this: My folks phone number when I was a kid was off by one digit from Ted Nugent's.  I've had some interesting 3am phone calls and my mother still doesn't believe it wasn't my friends calling me drunk from Potters Pub.

As a consultant I had a client that was a municipality.  I worked on some government projects.  I got to meet some politicians.  It was part of the job.

Living in a rural state, like I do, you can call your elected politicians and they will actually get back to you.  If you hang out at the governor's office and he's not to busy, he'll probably meet with you too.  Of course if you had a job working on projects that they were part of chances are they'll see you sooner than someone else. See above.

The most recent encounter I had with Gov Dave, last year, was because I was flipping burgers to make ends meet.  He came in for a free meal.  I fixed it.  Impressed?  Over the years I cooked for some famous people and thousands of regular Joes. The most recent political encounter was doing the training job.  I got an "atta boy" from two men who thought I was from their home state.  They were out "supporting the troops" with a camera crew, so they could get credit.

Some place there are pictures of me with Bill Cosby, Barbara Bush, and Colin Powell.  You want to know how to get yours?  Your alma mater has a fund raising dinner, you pay big bucks, you get a photo.  Yes I got to chat with them for a few min.  It was cool.  If I told you about getting my picture made with two black guys and an old lady, you might be less impressed.

What if I told you I 'dated' a Hawaii Swimsuit model or an actress and one very hot rodeo queen.  I did.  For the life of me, I can't think of either one of their last names in RL.  

You care about famous people because they are famous.  If it was a story about some Bob or Bill it wouldn't be as interesting.  Famous people are famous because lots of people know them.  Their families don't think they are very exceptional.

Is it telling of some personal short coming to mention any of this in conversation?

No comments:

Post a Comment