All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

10/12/2015

Bullwinkle Part 1

My first hunting trip was with my granddad when I was a small boy.  There were some hunters running a dog on pheasant on his farm.  We tagged along behind them.  I remember them getting a rooster.  They may have got more than that.  I don't remember, it was long ago.  I had caught my first fish earlier that summer in his pond behind the barn.  I had landed it by myself.  He was proud beyond belief.

Granddad died the next spring.  I had one fishing and one hunting trip each with him, but I was hooked for life.  My father would sometimes take us fishing but he was never big on it.  I was allowed to go to hunters safety as a boy.  Dad took me out hunting a few times.  He was never into it so it wasn't a priority for him.  I dreamed of hunting and fishing but had to satisfy myself with reading Boy's Life and Field and Stream.
I was surprised when dad invited himself to go moose hunting with me.  Surprised doesn't quite cover it.  I never expected my father to do anything outdoors related again in his life.  Ever.  Him and mom have discovered cruising.  Floating hotels with little touristy shore excursions are a prefect fit for his white tennis shoe, black socks and Bermuda shorts style.
Dad said he had this great new camera and had taken a class on photography and I shouldn't hunt alone etc, etc.  I have to admit that his photo's are pretty good.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:46 PM

    Res,

    When you mentioned that someone had invited themselves along I was wondering who that could be. I think it's so great he wanted to go with you, especially knowing it wasn't necessarily a priority for him when you were younger. Very cool. Thanks for sharing those details. His pictures are also great. I am glad to hear you were successful. Sounds like a great and memorable experience. Good for you. Looking forward to future installments.

    Blessings.

    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan2:49 PM

      My thoughts exactly Rabbi B. It makes me wonder if maybe he was motivated to go with Res. God does work in mysterious ways.
      And these photos are excellent and very well done. Believe it or not, the hardest thing about taking good pictures is holding your hands and camera steady. You would be surprised at how many people get the slightest of shakes when they are taking the photo.

      Delete
  2. There were a few people that had asked to go on this hunt with me. The first was a banking customer of mine from back east. I had guided him and a guest antelope and dear hunting 12 years ago. He asked then if I ever drew a limited quota tag if he could go on the hunt to video it.

    The last person on earth I expected to want to go hunting with me was my father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan2:53 PM

      Like I said to Rabbi B, God works in mysterious ways, and His wonders are a sight to behold.

      Personally, I think he and your mom are in more danger of some kind of virus or bug or something on these cruises now than he ever would be going hunting.

      Delete
    2. in mysterious ways

      You're getting ahead of the story.

      Delete
    3. Susan6:22 PM

      Sorry about that.(mischievous grin)

      Delete
  3. WaterBoy2:06 PM

    Awesome intro. It's great that you got to share at least one more hunting trip with your dad.

    Very nice photos, too. I hope he got to document your kill along with the scenery....

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the photos on this post and the next are his. He's got a great camera setup and his shots turned out pretty good. I have a Kodak pocket digital camera that I get to take on trips like this. My good camera is a Cannon but it doesn't get to leave the truck.

    One draw back on the Kodak is that it can be turned on accidently in your pocket. This lets it take lots of pictures of the inside of my hunting vest and runs down the batteries so that its useless when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dittos to Rabbi B, Susan, and Water Boy!
    And I kinda resent the cruising remarks. That's the only time I get to go scuba diving. I dove for years in New Jersey, but for about the past 15 years the only diving I've done is on cruise ship excursions. Cruising is actually pretty nice; you get to visit all kinds of foreign countries and never leave the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan6:21 PM

      I am totally not against the concept of cruises Bill. Not at all. But with so many problems that are popping up now with all the stomach viruses and mechanical problems, I just cannot see myself putting my hubby and I into a situation where we are stranded for several days on one of those ships where you can't even flush a toilet. Bad news when you have a serious stomach bug that causes both ends to go into overdrive.

      Now a river cruise would be a lot of fun. I know they offer them in France, I don't know if they offer them any closer to home though.

      Delete
    2. Then don't cruise with Carnival! We've pretty much been exclusive to Disney since I found out I can bring my own beer on board (NOTE: This has changed!!). I've tried Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and I'll stick with Disney. On Disney, during at sea days I can almost always find something I want to do, not so much with the other cruise lines.

      Delete