All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

7/28/2006

Coming for a Better Life?

I think Taylor is the only person here who knows this about me. In college I met a girl, we started a friendship and it might have been going someplace more. I decided to learn about her culture and even took some lessons to learn her native language. The reason for this little glimpse into the nearly romantic relationships of my past will be clear in a minute.

I have had the privilege to travel around to many countries. One small talent I have is the ability to guess with a great deal of accuracy the language someone is speaking, even if I can’t always follow 100% of what’s being said. For instance, spoken German sounds very different in Munich, than in Geneva. Both are speaking German but the Swiss have an entirely different language going. I can tell them apart even though my vocabulary is limited.

As you know I live in BFE Wyoming. Today I made a trip to the gas station to get a coke and a bag of chips. There were four other guys in the station. All four had dark hair and olive skin. The first two were Mexicans who were speaking Spanish.

The Mexicans got in line ahead of me, paid and left. I was next and paid for my chips and started to leave. That’s when I heard the other two olive skinned men dressed like day workers talking. They were having a disagreement about whether the hot dogs were (Taylor correct me here if I’m messing this part up) “houb hasty”.

For those of you who don’t know or can’t make out my phonetic spelling “houb hasty” is Farsi for religiously good. In the context of the conversation we’d probably say kosher. They were trying to figure out if the dogs had pork in them.

I went out to my truck and got in and started backing out to leave. The two Iranians got into the SUV with the Mexicans. We've got a lot more than wet backs coming through that southern boarder.

No comments:

Post a Comment