All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

1/20/2014

Of Fred

I've been a reader of Fred Reed for 10 or 11 years now.  At least I've been reading him on line for that long.  I think I may have caught some of his stuff in SOF back in the 80's too.  I really can't remember any of his SOF work, I just know that he used to write for them and I used to read them from time to time. 

For what its worth, Fred reminds me of Mark Twain without any of the pizazz and paparazzi.  Ok so Mark Twain didn't have any of that stuff either.  They both smoke cigars, drink whisky and speak with a southern draw so we know that they are decent human beings.  I could have said that Fred reminds me of Mike Royko but being compared to a Pollock from Chicago might be offensive to a southerner.  Besides Fred is one of the few people still alive that might remember who Royko was.  Both men had a way with humor that makes sense to me.  Humor is after all just a way to look at life and laugh instead of cry.

From a recent Fred on Everything:

A Childhood in Athens

It is common for aging men, worn by the long years of drink and skirt-chasing and strenuous dissolution in the fleshpots of Asia, or any available fleshpots, to remember their youth in roseate hues that never were. But, dammit, we really did go barefoot. And had BB guns. And the dog could go anywhere it damned well pleased, and come back when it chose.
And nobody cared. Oh sweet age of nobody cared.  Child Protective Services didn’t show up, officious passive-aggressive snots, to carry my parents away.  
BB guns, I said. We all had them.
Today children of six years are led from classrooms in handcuffs for merely drawing a rifle (curious in the world's most militarily aggressive country).
Such was America, when it was America.  It was a helluva country, warts and all, and Athens was a helluva childhood. These never will be again, but they were, and for those who knew them, it was enough. 
I hate to disagree with Fred.  It was not enough.  It was nothing like enough.  Prior to moving to the big city my childhood was much like Fred's.  That's the way it should be.  Boys should be boys.  Girls should do whatever girls do.  I have no idea what that is because I was boy and couldn't be bothered with girls until I had a job and drivers license.  It's not "enough" that this is the way it once was.  Part of what' s wrong with America is that this isn't how its been for the last 30 years.

I don't suspect that Fred is a religious man.  "Oh sweet age of nobody cared.", is as woeful a prayer of lament that ever crossed human lips.  I fervently wish we could return to the sweet age of nobody cared.  Today we live in an age of "everyone should care".  The result of which is socially autistic busybodies running around pitching continual tantrums and making everyone as miserable as they are.

8 comments:

  1. Giraffe9:12 AM

    Most of the time I love Fred, sometimes I hate him, it depends whether I'm the butt of his wit or not.

    A couple weeks ago he wrote about the obsolescence of Maureen Dowd, and I have to say that was awesome.

    Anyway. I live in the country, I homeschool. My kids are going to get the "sweet age of nobody cared" as much as I can give 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, my kids never got to have the same kind of unrestricted childhood that I enjoyed.

    I had more fun with the neighbor boys than I ever did with the girls. At that point in my life, I did not want to sit and giggle and play with dolls.

    Growing up with brothers, who wants to do that, when there are far more interesting things to do, like climb trees and play in the world's most awesome field that was behind my house? Growing up in the sixties was great fun.

    Giraffe, one of the best things you could ever do for your kids is to make sure they have either a tree to climb, or a very tall, freestanding, tree house type fort. I promise you they will remember that very fondly in their adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah tree forts. I remember several. The were all awesome. In a two by four and rusty nail sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giraffe2:05 PM

    Don't know about the tree fort. I have daughters. There may be a playhouse. We'll see.

    The older two and I built a snow fort the other day. I think it will get some use this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giraffe,

    Do you have much for trees around your place?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Giraffe10:02 AM

    Yes. I have lots of trees. My property is 700 feet by 900 feet with a shelterbelt on all four sides.

    The north and west sides are my deer hunting spot.

    I'm so far behind. By the time I get my sandbox built the girls will be too old for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Giraffe10:02 AM

    Yes. I have lots of trees. My property is 700 feet by 900 feet with a shelterbelt on all four sides.

    The north and west sides are my deer hunting spot.

    I'm so far behind. By the time I get my sandbox built the girls will be too old for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make time to make the sandbox. Scrape together $50 worth of 2x4's and plywood. There is nothing better than being a hero to your kids and this is the time of life when it can be done for next to nothing.

    ReplyDelete