All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

3/19/2015

Reason to home school #37

Reason to home school #37

PE class looks a lot like playing catch and hitting grounders to your kids in the back yard.

For my birthday this year I bought a baseball glove on-line and had it sent to the house.  That way it looked like Mrs. Ipsa ordered it.  Plus the kids got to tease me about my getting a "secret" birthday gift in the mail.  Mrs. Ipsa was in on it. 

I did this because I hadn't bought a baseball glove since 1984.  Ipsa Jr. likes baseball.  He's getting so he can almost throw the ball hard enough that it stings a little to catch it with my bare hand.  Both my son and daughter have discovered that they love playing catch and shagging balls in the yard.

I can hit a couple of FARRRR ones (basically a pop up that would go over the second baseman's head) and my kids think its a centerfield over the wall home run.

Hank Aaron never had fans as appreciative as mine.

4 comments:

  1. WaterBoy10:28 PM

    The dawn of the Golden Years of fatherhood, man. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. black8:34 AM

    I did the same thing last summer. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan9:04 AM

    WaterBoy

    While all stages of parenting have their great points, I think this age is probably my favorite because they are old enough to start asking interesting questions, yet they still have a lot of that childlike innocence that is so wonderful and just tugs your heart. It is absolutely fascinating to watch their minds working at that age.

    One of the best things I ever did with my daughter was a 3-1/2 day road trip driving back to her place in Colorado, then staying for a few days. It cemented a mother daughter relationship for us like nothing else ever did. Of course the little rat got me hooked on hockey as payback, so there is that.

    The main reason for homeschooling? That verse in the Bible about training a child up in the way they should go, and they will never stray from it. There is no suggestion that means birth to school age only in that passage that I can find.

    Putting your precious child into the grinding maw of indoctrination that is public school is just wrong. Christians that think they are sending their children there to "witness" somehow, have totally forgotten what school is really like for a kid.

    Unless there is some overwhelming reason that you can't home school, as a parent one really needs to.

    ReplyDelete