All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

12/19/2011

Scenes From a Thai Restaurant

I'm getting a new computer since my old one is dying.  In Wyoming this means going to the big city to pick it up, that or paying for shipping.  I used my day off to go to Casper.  For those of you who live in the city, you don't appreciate how big of a deal it is to "go to town".  Its true I live in a town, out side of it really, but in Wyoming going to town involves a long drive to a BIG city (50,000 population).  In other words its an all day big deal so you make the most of it.

You go out to eat in restaurants that you don't have at home and go shopping in places that you don't have back in your town.  So I dressed my in my best almost clean jeans, didn't shave for a couple of days, put on a big shirt (something might have been spilled on it) and left it untucked, to conceal my handgun, wore my ever stylish SEB hat and headed off to a restaurant I found on line, DSASUMO's.  

Lunch was great and so was my conversation with the owner.  In fact if your ever in Casper drop in and give them a try. 

As I was walking out, three females were walking in.  The trio looked to be a teenage girl, mom and grandma.  They were out spending the day shopping with the girls. Since I was going out and they were coming in, I did what was known in my youth as "holding a door for a lady" but what now is known as "oppressing liberated females who are just as good as any man, because of their reproductive organs, while perpetuating the patriarchy power structure". 

The teenage girl (maybe about 14 to 16 years old) walked past me and remarked with sigh, "Well what was that all about?".  The oldest of the two women (maybe in her mid to late 70's) turned at her, and stuck her boney finger about an inch from her nose and said, "that's a gentleman, you don't see them much anymore and you'd be better off encouraging them when you do".  

The elderly women then turned to me and  said, "I thank you sir, and I apologize for my granddaughter."

I don't know why I did it.  In fact I don't think I've done it a dozen times since I was taught to as part of a formal course in manners in 8th grade.  There was something in her tone of voice and maybe her slightly Can-Scottish accent that made it seem natural. I removed my hat, clicked my heels together and bowed in her direction in a traditional antebellum bow. (Think Rex Butler or the boy from Sound of Music)  I think, had she offered her hand, I might have actually kissed it. I thanked her for her thoughtfulness, made a minutes worth of small talk, recommended the roast duck salad (and I do it was wonderful). I remarked that it had been a pleasure to make her acquaintance, and I asked her permission to take my leave; which she granted. 

I'm sure that Farmer Tom has fallen on the floor of his living room and Waterboy is suffering the after effects of snorting his scotch out his nose from laughing at the mental picture.  FT and WB have probably the best idea of how ridiculous a sight, I, a pudgy, middle age man, dressed more appropriate for elk camp having  a perfectly civil conversation in the doorway of a nice restaurant must have looked. The person most astonished however just stood there with her chin touching her chest.  I put my hat back on, tipped it to each of the laddies and simply said "madam",  "ma'am" and "miss" and walked through the door.  As the door was closing behind me, I heard the middle aged women say, "mother you know the most interesting people".  Followed by her reply, "nonsense I just met the gentleman" and  "Samantha Sue close your mouth you're gathering fly's".

Decorum.  Now if I could only get a handle on posture, penmanship and punctuality, I might actually pass myself off as a civilized person.

No comments:

Post a Comment