All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

1/30/2013

You Can Run but You Can't Hide

It probably seemed like a good idea at the time. An 11-year-old Spanish boy faked his own kidnapping, according to the U.K.'s Guardian, because his mom and dad were set to meet his teacher later that day—and he didn't want to be around for the aftermath.
Needless to say, things didn't go as planned. The boy sent a text message to his father—a police officer in the northern town of Xinzo de Limia—saying he had been kidnapped and stuffed in the back of a car. His father called him immediately. The boy said he didn't know where he was being taken. He then faked phone static and hung up. Chaos ensued.
 
Had I pulled this as a kid, I wouldn't be here to blog about this poor unfortunate soul. 

One time I was involved in a spat with another kid at school and was over heard by a teacher saying some unkind things to another kid.  The incident wasn't a one sided affair.  I was the one the teacher caught.  The other boy was sent with me to the principles office so he could more fully inform the principle of my misdeeds.  The principle figured out very quickly that this was a two sided fight and called both our parents.   The other boys mother was at work and told the principle that she would handle it latter.  He was sent back to class, unchastised. 

My father was called next.  He asked the principle to wait for him to get to the school.  Dad showed up and asked if he could borrow the principles office for a "private talk" with me.  The principle left the room and my father proceeded to chase me around the desk beating me with his belt.  I howled and tried to run as the old man beat the living hell out of me.  When his anger was slightly satiated the old man called the principle back into his office.  He was informed that I would be more fully punished at home and that my parents backed whatever punishment the school determined appropriate 100%. 

That's what happened for a school yard name calling and pushing match.  I can't imagine what would have happened to me had I pulled a fake kidnapping.

3 comments:

  1. My mom beat my butt with a wood stick because I lost track of time and missed the van to kindergarten. I got hauled in to school with a sore ass while my partner in crime got the day off. Funny, he's pretty worthless today. Wonder if would have been different had his parents had a different attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the same way things were for me as a kid. Everybody got of with less punishment than I did. It wasn't till 7th grade that I met someone else with folks as strict as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WaterBoy1:53 PM

    Nothing hurts worse than being struck with a switch you had to go out and cut off a tree yourself.

    That was for accidentally starting a fire in the woods on our property. Had I known the punishment, I would have let the fire keep burning all the switches...er, trees...down, instead of putting it out.

    ReplyDelete