All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

8/19/2013

Dog Days

It's mid August.  This summer has been unusual for us weather wise.  We have had good amounts of rain and it has been reasonably warm with no lingering hot spells.  It's been great.  The grass is still green even.  The garden has done great and we have put up a good quantity of veggies.

We haven't done as many fun trips as we would like this year, but the kids are enjoying themselves.  The dog is growing up and has started some of his training.  I had forgotten how much work a pup can be.  I don't have a source for live birds for training or as it turns out ready access to a good area for field work.  This has been a set back.  I don't think I'll be able to hunt him this year, but who knows.

Yesterday marks my 3 year anniversary with my employer.  It's hard to believe that its been that long.  I keep looking for a "real" job.  It's been 5 years since I had one of those. They are few and far between.  Underemployment is far, far better than unemployment but its still a hard pill to swallow.  The endless job search and endless rejection and in some ways worse, employer non-response wears on the nerves. 

I keep reminding myself of three things: 1. I have a job, a lot of guys, who are just as good as me don't.  2. I get to see and play with my kids every day.  3. Being a pay check away from poverty isn't the same thing as living on the street.  God is still good even when I don't get what I want.  In this case, what I want is to make enough to have my wife stay home and have what was once called a "middle class" lifestyle.

I have two jobs I applied for last week that I have to follow up on, so I should quit whining about things and get on it.

I hope your summer is going great my friends.  My your sweat corn be plentiful, the zucchini overflowing and the green beans tender and tasty.  I lift my glass to each of you and the smoke rising off your BBQ.  Enjoy the time spent on your patio, deck or back porch. Warm days, pleasant breezes and golden sunsets turning gray to black when the lighting bugs come out and twinkle are the stuff of many a fond memory.  May your days be filled with them.

5 comments:

  1. WaterBoy12:45 PM

    It's been rather...undull...around these parts this summer. We're back to having our usual afternoon thunderstorms that we used to get almost like clockwork when I first moved here. But with the amount of damage done by the wildfire last summer, there have been several flashfloods coming down from out of the burn area and occasionally washing cars and trucks away.

    I consider it fortunate that my summer has been more dull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dull is fine. A dull day can include lots of life's little pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:32 AM

    It has been a mild summer. Very nice. I'm hoping winter is also mild. I'll even put up with the 'tards screaming about global warming again if I don't have to do any shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all about not shoveling.

    The general thought around here is that we will have a long cold and snowy winter. In a way that would be good because we need to fill up the reservoirs and build up the snow pack.

    I know the snow will be good, if we get it, but I'm still all about not shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WaterBoy3:58 PM

    "I'm still all about not shoveling."

    That's why snow-blowers were invented.

    ReplyDelete