All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

11/19/2006

Self Education Bleg

I know we’ve got a good number of home school folks out there and more than a few math geeks. I need some major input on curriculum for teaching higher level mathematics. This isn’t for Baby Ipsa it’s for me. I never took advanced math beyond college algebra and statistics. I’m finding that I need to be able to comprehend and use more math than I ever thought I would in order to deal with engineers.

What I think I’m looking for is a way to refresh myself with college algebra and progress to Alg II, Trig, and Calculus. Then I need to know how to “hit the high points” with engineering terminology and discover what formulas and concepts are important in various disciplines like petroleum, and electrical engineering.

I would like to do this on my own, without investing in another degree. I have a EE who will help me out with some things but he’s going to cost me a bunch and I can’t afford to hire all this out. Please load me up with info and specifics.

I don’t need to be the next John Nash, I just need to be able to comprehend theory, work comfortably with the equations and program it into Excel, to work up my proposal and not have the math blow up in my face when the engineers get to looking at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment