All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

2/20/2007

Church Shopping

I didn’t really know what to title this post. I don’t believe the practice of “shopping” for a church is Biblical. It’s not like you get to go and “pick” one that “fits” you. I know, some people including some friends of mine, have this mindset. It’s wrong. You don’t get to chose “the church of your choice” like a restaurant. We don’t get to accept God on our own terms. He is God, we’re not, therefore He gets to make the rules.

Having said that, I’m facing a dilemma. I was asked by a friend in another state about “picking” a church. The question in this case is different than what most folks mean. This person isn’t a Christian but is looking to become one. The question isn’t asked by a person of faith seeking to worship God, it’s a question asked in a effort to discover God.

I think most people would recommend the church they go to. That’s what I’d normally do, but they don’t live in my town. Here is my dilemma. I don’t belong to a denomination. I left the “denomination” I grew up in when I became serious about making faith my own. Even if I did belong to a denomination I couldn’t in good faith recommend a group of people I don’t know just because they have the “right” name on the door.

I’m not someone who believes that every church claiming to be Christian is. In fact I believe the opposite. I believe God has some specific doctrines He’s established, and that He very much cares what we believe and practice. That said; what bits of advice would you give to someone looking at going to church for the first time?

No comments:

Post a Comment