All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

2/12/2007

How Do I…..

The list of questions like; what gun to buy, what class to take, what ammo to use etc is almost endless for the new shooter. What the newbie is looking for is a quick answer to a question that doesn’t have one. If you’re a gun nut or at least aspiring to be one, collecting lots of different guns is part of the fun. If you’re new to firearms ownership and you’re looking to get into it to accomplish a specific goal, like hunting or self defense, you’re looking to buy a tool.

Most of us want a tool that will do the job and be the most cost effective. I think that’s what lies at the hart of the “what gun do I buy” question. Unfortunately there isn’t one answer that works for everybody. That’s why gun makers offer hundreds of different models and calibers. Self-defense is a good thing. Where are you going to do this? Is the gun just for the home or is it something you’re going to carry on you most of the time?

My carry gun is a great little 45 acp that I dearly love, if I could only have one gun for both carry and home this would be it. If I wasn’t going to carry it and it was just going to set in a drawer someplace till it was needed, I’d pick something else.

My first choice for home defense is a handgun.

The first consideration is quality and reliability of the firearm.

The second thing I’d think about is ease of use.

The third thing I’d consider is how powerful it is.

The forth criteria is how accessible is ammunition.

Here’s my reasoning: A handgun is easy to move with and get into play in a confined space. It must go bang when needed or it’s useless. I has to be nearly fool proof to operate in a fight. It must deliver enough punch to takeout the bad guy. I have to be able to get my hands on ammo for defense and practice so the more common the better.

When picking a gun here’s what I’d look for.

  1. Made in America. This isn’t a protectionist thing, we make the best handguns in the world, period. Yes some foreign makers do a good job, I don’t own any so I can’t tell you who they are from experience. Spend 10% more and support our industry and craftsmanship.
  2. Major manufacture, this means Ruger, Springfield, Smith and Wesson Kimber, etc.
  3. It can be used, no big deal if it is so long as its in good shape.
  4. ease and reliability, this means a revolver as they are easy to use and take care of and are nearly always 100% reliable.
  5. packs enough punch, get a .357, 44 mag or 45 long Colt, in a double action revolver, this takes care of criteria 2,3,and 4.

Go buy a second gun, but buy this one first, this needs to be a Browning Buck Mark in 22 cal (I like the Ruger Mark II too). Shoot the heck out of it till you get the hang of using it and till you get some idea of how much you like shooting and what your preferences are in handgun features. Here is a link to a good training article.

Word em up.

No comments:

Post a Comment