All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

8/14/2007

New Toys

I mentioned a while back at Nate's that I got a couple of new toys recently. Here they are.

The top riffle is a Bushmaster varmint rig with all the super accurized goodies including the 22 inch barrel. The bottom riffle is my first serious attempt into the world of long range gunning. Its a 7mm-08. According to the ballistics this riffle should be able to get me into the 2K club. At least thats the goal. I expect that meeting the goal will take me about 2 years. Which might be a little generous an estimate. You can't make a goal unless you set a goal and thats the one I'm setting.

What is the 2K Club? Thats a very small group of people who have a witnessed/certified 2,000 yard kill on a prairie dog. Considering that I haven't made the 1K club yet this is going to be a stretch of my marksmanship abilities. A 3in target isn't a easy thing to hit past about 300 yards especially when you consider how much wind we get here. Anyway that's the goal and I'll keep ya'll updated as I make progress towards it.

Right now I'm waiting on equipment and components. I ordered a new 20x scope for the 7mm and its on back order. I managed to get a good deal on both guns. I bought them used. Neither gun had been shot much. It seems that a local guy with a big gun collection had a daughter. She graduated from high school and they had to fix up the house for the graduation party, cha ching. Then she told mom and dad that she was getting married, cha ching and CHA CHING!. Apparently daddy was expected to foot the bill. Daddy dearest wants to retire someday so rather than go into debt or cash out investments he (I think his wife might have had some say in this) sold off a big chunk of his gun collection. I was there in a hart beat and picked up a good deal buying both guns and a scope for about 60% of the price of new. Let this be a lesson to those of you with girl children, start saving early for those things that you know you're going to pay for, otherwise some other guy is going to get your stuff for cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment