All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

5/14/2011

Good Years

Last summer I was working on a job doing training for the Army.  I met a man who was traveling around the country doing the same thing I was but on a more or less full time basis.  He had raised his kids and owned his own business.  His kids were running the business and he was working on a way to transition ownership over to them. He was ten years older than me.  We were comparing notes about life in general and he made a comment to me that the period of my life that I was about to go through was going to be a great time.  He said that for him this period of raising kids held his fondest memories. He encouraged me not to miss a minute of my kids growing up.

When I think about the condition of the world today I am worried.  It doesn't look like America will exist very much longer.  I expect to see it die in my lifetime, if it doesn't I will be pleasantly surprised. However, if things aren't fixed, my kids will have to live through the fall of the American dream.  I worry for them as well as my country.

The screen saver on my computer plays a random loop of digital photos that we have taken.  I've been watching it for the last 10 min. Mostly these photos are of the kids. Who are growing up so fast. The world may very well be falling apart but my friend was right, these are the good years.

No comments:

Post a Comment