All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

9/27/2013

The Visit

Update on the grandparents visit, because it's Friday and you don't want to actually do anything other than blog on Friday.

When I woke up on Thursday morning my mother spoke to me.  Dad spoke to me two hours latter.  It seems that my daughter, who hasn't learned to read yet, convinced grandpa that he wanted to read her the description of every toy in the Christmas toy catalog.  Which he did.  That's right, the man who hated to even look at the toys I had circled in the Sears catalog when I was kid, read her the entire catalog.  I don't know what time they started reading together, since I wasn't out of bed, but it took TWO HOURS after I was up for them to finish.  He even seemed enthralled with the toys.

"Oh that looks like a good one honey".  "I bet your brother would like that one".

The man saying those things clearly is not my father.  The only thing that kept me from taking him into mental health is the sneaking suspicion that the toy he thought my son should have, was the drum set.  If Res Jr. gets that for Christmas, I'll be in the loony bin and they might make us room together.

2 comments:

  1. Weird.

    Hand him a gun catalog and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parents have to say No. Grandparents get to say Yes.

    ReplyDelete