All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

7/16/2014

Divorce

A judge was interviewing a woman regarding her pending divorce. He asked, "What are the grounds for your divorce?"

She replied, "About four acres and a nice little home in the middle of the property with a stream running by."

"No," he said, "I mean what is the foundation of this case?"

"It is made of concrete, brick, and mortar," she responded.

"I mean," he continued, "what are your relations like?"

"I have an aunt and uncle living here in town, and so do my husband's parents."

He said, "Do you have a real grudge?"

"No," she replied, "we have a two-car carport and have never really needed one."

"Please," he tried again, "is there any infidelity in your marriage?"

"Yes, both my son and daughter have stereo sets. We don't necessarily like the music, but the answer to your question is yes."

"Ma'am, does your husband ever beat you up?"

"Yes," she responded, "about twice a week he gets up earlier than I do."

Finally, in frustration, the judge asked, "Lady, why do you want a divorce?"

"Oh, I don't want a divorce," she replied. "I've never wanted a divorce. My husband does. He said he can't talk to me."

6 comments:

  1. Susan9:38 AM

    I have to wonder how true to life this joke is in some parts of the world when it comes to married couples.

    She appears to have fallen down the dumb hill and hit every bump on the way down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    Every man that has been married for a year or more has had this happen to him at some point. We think we are speaking English and she is speaking something else. My wife did this to me last week. My 5 year old daughter did this to my son recently too. We are speaking one language and the girls are speaking another.

    My daughter is at least honest about it; "well you call it that, but I like to call it this". My poor son just looks like he got hit by the female logic bus. One day he will learn to pay no attention to what is said, but only pay attention to what she means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan9:16 AM

    You know of course, this totally happens in reverse too.

    But what drives my husband up the wall is a variation of this. We can be having a normal serious discussion about something, and I can pull a totally new subject out of my head and start running two conversations at the same time. And I don't even realize I am doing it sometimes. And he doesn't have a clue.

    It used to be really bad when he would be busy out in the shop on a project, so I would have to store up subjects to talk to him about.

    When he realizes what is going on, he just gives me a look and says something like Honey, I am getting whiplash again. Talk about one or the other, not both at the same time.

    Will be 37 years married come next March.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan9:18 AM

    Sometimes, the hamster wheel, she does spin madly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and I can pull a totally new subject out of my head and start running two conversations at the same time

    We call it spider webbing. And it happens all the time here. I'm not entirely sure but I think it is also used as a tactic to get me to agree to one thing (in my mind) while actually having me agree to do something else in hers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan8:27 PM

    Mine is more, I have so much stored in my head that once it starts coming out, I can't always stop it, or put it in a proper order.

    So my dear hubby learned to take breaks and come in and talk to his wife so he could avoid the deluge.

    Spider webbing is a good description, but sometimes it feels more like my hamster wheel is in serious overdrive and I don't always know how to stop it.

    ReplyDelete