All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

3/01/2006

Cabin Fever

With trout fishing two months away, turkey hunting three months away, and the weather fickle at best, the Wyoming sportsman is limited in his activities. We have reloading and fly-tying, and Gun and Knife Shows.

A Wyoming Gun Show will draw guys from up to 6 hours away. If it’s Saturday and the wife is home, we can be counted on being gone all day. This is true if the show is in South Dakota or Montana, if we can drive it, we’ll see it. This weekend was no exception.

There was a lot to check out. From classic western collectables to hunting and military items, the tables were packed. Best of all this show was more than 50% private owners, fantastic.

The reloading suppliers were out in force. Primers were going for $15 per thousand, saving me $4 bucks a box, not to mention the deals on powder and bullets. Battle packs of sealed Lake City 308 mid 90’s manufacture were $30. When it comes to 8 round mags for my 45, I’m a Wilson Combat man, but I was able to pick up 5 new Chip McCormick mags with slam pads for $75, normally those go for $25 to $30 retail so I saved $50. I’ll give those a workout this summer.

I better not post how much I spent, the Mrs. might pay closer attention to this than I think. That and there are two more gun shows this next weekend. I might want to go again.

In hunting news, yesterday was the last day to apply for a in state moose and bighorn sheep license. As is tradition, I drove my application and check to Cheyenne and personally handed it to Game and Fish.

I put in for area 10 for sheep, like I’m going to get that tag. Unless I get the random draw, I’ve got another 10 years worth of preference points to save first. My first choice tag for moose was area 37 which is right south of Yellowstone along the Idaho border. My second choice was for an area 32 tag, also south of the park but right next to the road. I’ve got enough points this year to draw a cow tag, but I’m going to hold out for a bull. At best it’s a 50/50 chance of me hitting the draw.

I can’t put in for elk till May, but when I do, I’ll try for the Black Hills again. If I draw it maybe Giraffe and I can walk the state line together, him shooting east and me shooting west.

No comments:

Post a Comment