All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

11/30/2009

What To Do?

When I was younger there were four places I wanted to live when I grew up. They were, Europe, Alaska, the Western US and the UP. Over the years other places have caught my attention as well. I could probably go for NZ. I could be happy in AR, or another southern state, under the right circumstances. As much as I enjoyed Central America, I don't think I could make it home. I ruled out Europe after a couple of visits.

Today I live in the last semifree state of the lower 48. I love it here. I love our church. I like the town. I have lots of friends. One of the best gun makers in the world is 15min south of me. He works on my stuff for cheap. I have 1,000 yard shooting ranges. I have a 3,000 yard range as well, but I don't have that kind of firepower, yet. Some great whitewater rafting is just a few hours south. If I feel the need to spank my kids in public, no one is going to call the cops. If they did, it wouldn't be a problem since the cops wouldn't interfere with legitimate punishment. You can home school if you choose. College is cheap. It has everything I need to be happy. Except my wife isn't as happy as she would be if she were closer to her folks. My job situation has been sucky as well.

The dilemma? I have a chance to reapply to a job 1,300 miles to the east of here. Its the kind of job that I would be good at and I would probably enjoy doing it, and my guess is that it pays close to if not over six figures. We would have to move. This would be a plus for the wife and misery for me. Should I give it a go or no?

No comments:

Post a Comment