All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

6/24/2015

LEARN CHINESE

English PhraseChinese Interpretation
  
Are you harboring a fugitive?Hu Yu Hai Ding?
See me A.S.A.P.Kum Hia Nao
Stupid ManDum Gai
Small HorseTai Ni Po Ni
Did you go to the beach?Wai Yu So Tan?
I bumped into a coffee tableAi Bang Mai Ni
I think you need a faceliftChin Tu Fat
It's very dark in hereWai So Dim?
Has your flight been delayed?Hao Long Wei Ting?
Unauthorized executionLin Ching
I thought you were on a dietWai Yu Mun Ching?
This is a tow away zone No Pah King
I got this for freeAi No Pei
I am not guiltyWai Hang Mi?

4 comments:

  1. Wa Tu Boi8:37 AM

    Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This last week I had an encounter with a Chinese national who had expatriated to Germany but had come over to the US for a couple of weeks. He couldn't remember if he was speaking German or English, which was kind of funny. He probably is used to speaking German to whites.

    I never heard German pronounced quite that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WaterBoy6:03 PM

    My neighbor/landlady in Belgium was conversant in Flemish, French, German, and English (and fluent in most). When speaking to her, she would occasionally forget which language she was using, and switch to something else mid-sentence. It was quite confusing, at first.

    I eventually picked up enough Flemish and a smattering of French to follow her into another dialect if she went there, but not if it was German.

    ReplyDelete