All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

5/25/2006

Via Sgt. Grit

The Sunday May 7th Doonesbury cartoon disturbed me enough that I wrote the following to the editor of the Dallas Morning News;

I don't normally read Doonesbury but this past Sunday, I read through the comic and was totally disgusted by what I read. The premise of the comic was a US Army Recruiter at a high school and how you can't be a loser if you want to join the US Army because of the technical nature of how we fight wars these days. One student says about another that the reason they are asking these questions is because the student is a loser, the character then replies, "well you should talk to the Marines". Well, my oldest son is a US Marine and he is no loser, why anyone would call the men and women of the US Marines losers is beyond me. Because of this disrespectful comic, I am canceling my subscription to the Dallas Morning News. Gary Trudeau has every right to create this type of comic but someone at that newspaper should have had the decency to say during a time where our men and women are dying in Iraq that it was inappropriate to print this comic. Maybe the next time Mr. Trudeau wants to refer to the US Marines as losers, he should take a trip to one of their bases and do it in person.

A very proud father of a US Marine Frank DeGise


No comments:

Post a Comment