All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

5/10/2006

Why Archie?

The TV character Archie Bunker’s personality was based on my Great-grandfather, on my mother’s mother side. The personality was the only thing they modeled after him. His politics were totally different from Archie Bunker.

Here’s a little family secret, so don’t go blabbing it about to the revenuers. My Great-grandfather was an honest to goodness bootlegger. Being French-Canadian (another deep dark family secret, much worse than breaking a stupid law) he had family on the Canadian side of the boarder who’d put together a booze shipment. Then he’d run it across on boat and take it into the cities. Mostly he ran whiskey, sometimes beer. I’ve been told his personal favorite was a brand called “Imperial”. I know they still make the stuff but I’ve never been able to lay my hands on a bottle.

Anyway he was an untrusting grumpy soul even latter in life. I think the ending of prohibition was the greatest disappointment he ever faced. He got a job in the factories in the 30’s and saw the building up of the UAW. After he had to get honest work, he never seemed to have more than a few bucks. Which is why I think he sat around and groused about everything that the government was screwing up

No comments:

Post a Comment