All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

8/11/2006

A Closed Mouth Gathers no Foot

Thursday night gun fight was a lot of fun this week. There are several shooting events taking place all over the region and all but 4 of us were out of town in competition or training classes. Someone (who will go nameless since it’s his blog) forgot to pack a 9 volt battery for the timer so I don’t have times to report.

Scores however are another matter. We set up a series of hostage drills. Basically you shoot the bad guy and don’t shoot the hostage. I did pretty well with a best score of 56/60 which means that out of 60 possible points I had 4 shots that hit the “b” ring, not to shabby.

Then it happened. We have a guy, we’ll call him Cop-Wanna-Be (CWB), his father is a world famous author, firearms expert, gun manufacture, tactical firearms instructor, runs a police sniper school, and marksmanship expert. CWB wants to run transition drills, start with a carbine and finish with a handgun, so we do some. He proceeds to pop every hostage on the course. I give him a little crap, next run he shoots every hostage again but not as many times. Third time he double taps em all. I really give him the business about how if the local cop shop ever hires him (and they will eventually) that I want to be the crook if he responds to the crime scene because it’ll be safer than being a hostage. I might have said some other things too.

My next turn, I manage to score a head shot or two on some hostages. I haven’t shot or even nicked a white target in over a year. For the rest of the night I couldn’t avoid hitting a good guy.

Lesson: When your top dog, especially if its because the guys who are good are gone, don’t gloat.

No comments:

Post a Comment