All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

2/24/2015

News Quips

A couple of stories are making their way around the net today that have caught my attention.

One of them is a 12 year old boy from Georgia who blasts Obama for not loving America.  Here's the vid:


When I was 12, I was into politics too.  We didn't have the internet but we had newspapers, I read them and enjoyed knowing what was going on in the world and forming my own opinion on it.  I applaud young Mr. Person for his ability to investigate and develop his own opinions.  I think he will go far.  Not because I agree with some of what he says.  I think he will go far because he is willing to voice an opinion that is contrary to what one would expect from a youth coming from his racial and cultural background.  Incidentally, his homiletic skills are well developed.  He is either a natural orator or has received and put to good use some training.

I doubt that Mr. Person has developed a working world view on our relationship as a country with militant factions in the middle east.  So I suspect that he and I would have opposing opinions on the overall picture.  His presentation wasn't about that topic, nor was it about several other topics that his distractors are pontificating upon.  The message that Obama "doesn't love America" is well illustrated by Obama's handling of ISIS.  That's all the kid said.  He is right.  Get over it.

In other news, Gov. Scott Walker is taking heat because he didn't know what religion Obama practices.  In response to this he said, "I've actually never talked about it or I haven't read about that," protesting that the president's religion is not a topic of great interest to voters. "I would defy you to come to Wisconsin. You could ask 100 people, and not one of them would say that this is a significant issue".

I think that's a pretty fair statement.  I doubt that most Americans care.  Yet Byron York still managed to get paid for writing, "Why are Americans confused about Obama's religion?".

I've got an answer Byron.  Obama claims to be a member of a church in Chicago and he has given interviews about "his Muslim faith".  In fact he's made several comments over the course of his presidency about his favorable views of Islam.  I don't know what, if any religion he practices.  Judging by how he spends his time I suspect "Golf" is actually the correct answer.

I don't think most Americans care too much about the presidents religion.  Whether or not this is a positive way to evaluate a man serving in public office is another question.  In practice, the subject isn't a priority for most voters.  America is a post Christian nation.  I suspect that many Americans would say that they are "Christian" even if they seldom darken the door step of a church.  If the best method of determining a man's religion is by what he does to practice it, then "golf" or "Islam" or "I don't know" are the answers to the question.

2 comments:

  1. Susan9:25 AM

    Good post Res. One nit though, its Byron, not Brian. Byron used to be a lot more of a pitbull about what he would write, but now his stuff seems like he has gotten intellectually lazy. That gets boring to read, so I haven't read his stuff in a while.
    I like James Delingpole over at Breitbart now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bad. I'll fix it.

    ReplyDelete