All in the Family featured the curmudgeonly Archie Bunker. Archie was television’s most famous grouch, blunt, blustering, straightforward and untouched by the PC crowd. He was the archetype of the conservative male. Michael desprately tried to reeducate him, but he persisted in his breviloquence.



Looking back at the last 40 years, we realize: ARCHIE WAS RIGHT!

6/01/2006

Schism

I’ve gotta admit I’m something of a contradiction of nature. My fathers side of the family is 100% pure breed southern hillbilly going back prior to the days of the state of Franklin. What you don’t know about the state of Franklin? Ya’ll must of went to a public school. One of my forbearers was given a piece of land there as repayment for his service to his country.

My mothers side of the family is 100%, brace yourselves…….from the north. They’re not really Yankees, being a Yankee would involve a certain amount of class, they’re more northern white trash (NWT) than Yankee. Here’s how it breaks down by family:


Ma’s

Pa’s

DUI

Gotta have beer to drive

Yep

Jail time

Yep

Yep

Bastard children

Folks get married?

Yep

Moonshine’n

Yep

Yep

Elected to public office

Nope

Yep

Kilt while hunting

Yep

Nope

Old fridge on the porch

Yep

Don’t everybody?

Car on blocks in yard

And in the fields

Yep

Bath tub in yard

Yep

Yep

Coon skins dry’n in the house

Since 1917

Not since the 60’s, dang the feds

Brand of cigarette

Pal Mal

Marlboro

Born on a plantation

Nope farm

Yep

Picked cotton

Nope, field corn by hand

Yep

Share cropper

Yep

Yep

Cheated cause didn’t read good

What's "read"?

Lost the plantation that way

Now you’d think with that kind of blood line I’d be happy just about anywhere, cept in a city, and you’d be mostly right. The problem is food. See something’s just ain’t the same and that’s what causes me problems.


Ma’s

Pa’s

Ice Tea

Unsweet

Sugar is what you add the water to

Corn bread

Lots of sugar

Sugar goes in cake and tea

Weird food

Chicken feet

Pickled pigs feet

Now I can eat corn bread either way, depending on my mood and what’s for dinner. I admit it I’ve eaten all manner of nasty crap set before me and called food but I lean towards the chicken more than the pigs feet. I’ve never been a fan of sweet tea, if I want sugar I’ll drink a soda. Today I was making up a big 2 gal jug of tea and be darned if I didn’t automatically reach for the sugar to pour some in. It must be the southern genetics taken over.

No comments:

Post a Comment